Toshiba 47TL515U Review (LCD-LED TV)
Description: 47" Full HD LED backlit Passive 3D TV
Includes: Tablet Top Stand, Built in Wifi, 2 Pair Passive 3D glasses
Reviewer: Jack Burden
Date: Late Summer 2011
A shot from SI's Swimsuit Edition 3D Experience shows off excellent accurate color rendition in the 47TL515U
- Passive 3D Picture quality very good
- Low cost of 3D glasses
- 1" Deep, nice looking matte finish
- Color rendition very natural and pops
- Side angle viewing with 3D
- Built In Wifi ready without Dongle
- Good looking design and 1" bezel
- Input Selection
- Audio sound quality
- Judder and jerky effects with moving images
- Internet Options OK
- Screen uniformity with high Backlight setting
- Slow response to remote control
HD Picture Quality: 8/10
With most LED-LCD TVs we recommend turning off the 240Hz anti-judder control feature due to unwelcome consequences. However, the judder (jerky effects as images move across the screen) on the TL515 are pretty bad and warrant the feature – called Clear Scan 240. In addition, the Clear Scan 240 feature does not overdo it, producing the unwanted effects. It reduces judder by about half, so there is still visible jerky effects. With most of the TVs picture modes the feature is preset to on. But you might want to check to make sure. It's a bit tricky to find: Go to Advanced Settings in the Picture menu and scroll down below the visible options to find it.
Black levels and contrast are not the highest we have experienced but they are at acceptable levels and certainly do not detract from an otherwise solid picture quality.
Toshiba's Passive 3D Glasses cost a fraction of active 3D glasses and are very light.
3D Viewing: 9/10
One of the big surprises from this TV was the quality of 3D viewing. I expected much less depth from the passive 3D glasses than we've been seeing with the active-shutter 3D glasses, but that was not the case. With active 3D we have seen more depth in the background of the picture, but with this passive 3D TV, we see images popping out of the screen towards us more. In the end I would say it's a wash. Side angle 3D viewing was also very good, while more straight on-center viewing is required with active 3D. Coloration is excellent. Image edges are not quite as crisp as some TVs we've tested recently. We did not experience the normal negative attributes from last year's 3D TVs – flicker and blurring in the bottom right and left corners. And one last big plus for this TV's simple passive glasses – they didn't tire my eyes.
Standard Definition Picture Quality: 7.5/10
The TL515 did a good job of up converting from lower signals. There was still some blurring and judder and image edges are slightly soft. Colors are very pleasant, black levels get a pass grade, and side angle viewing was very good for an LED TV.
Features Rating: 8.5/10
Features: This TV has 240Hz enabled frame rate conversion called Clear Frame 240. It's not nearly as intrusive as most of these dejudder technologies. Passive 3D capability, along with built in Wifi and Internet options is also available.
The Internet Options Menu on the TL515.
Internet Options: Wifi is built in on the TL515 so there is no Wifi dongle necessary. Toshiba relies on Yahoo! Widgets for it's Internet TV options aside from some of the premier paid services. Toshiba is a little behind in the Internet TV options department, but has the ones you will need most. The Yahoo! Widgets options which publishes the news, financials and a few other services. We're still not a big fan. The TL515 also has Netflix, Vudu Movies, Cinema Now, Pandora, Facebook, Flickr, You Tube.
Value Rating: 8.5/10
The 47TL515 is available for between $1199 and $1499 from authorized online dealers. Considering how well the passive 3D looks, this might also be a great option if you will have lots of people watching the TV since extra passive 3D glasses are inexpensive. There are lots of extras with this TV. The only thing it's missing is a web browser. Competition is from the Samsung UN46D6400, The LG 47LW6500, and the Sony KDL46EX720.
Overall Rating: 8.3/10
See the complete Toshiba 47TL515 Picture Settings and Calibration Results.
- 47" screen class (46.9" diagonal screen size)
- ENERGY STAR certified
- 4 HDMI inputs; 1 component video input; 2 composite video inputs
- PC input; Ethernet port; 2 USB ports (Video, music, photos)
- Audyssey EQ sound circuitry
- 10W + 10W built-in Invisible Speaker System design
- Includes tabletop stand; 400mm x 400mm VESA compliant
- Illuminated remote control
- LED backlighting
- ClearScan 240Hz refresh rate
- 1920 x 1080p native picture resolution
- AutoView ambient light sensor and picture adjustment system
- Gaming mode
- 3D capability (Passive); 2D to 3D upconversion
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Internet TV apps and streaming from top content providers
- Expert mode for precise picture adjustments
- Native Mode displays lost overscan areas
- Instaport fast HDMI switching
- Input labeling
- Channel browser
- Sleep timer
- CEVO chip
- Dimensions (without/with stand): 44.25"/44.25" W x 26.81"/29.49" H x 1.14"/11.30" D
- Weight (without/with stand): 42.11/49.60 lbs.