55" 1080p 3D LCD/LED TV
In 2010 Samsung indtroduced many feature packed LED backlit LCD TVs, they were thinner, lighter and had better picture quality than the previous year's models and 2011 looks ot be no different. This year the bezels are slimmed down, the TVs are even thinner and there are even more features packed in Samsung's top tier LED/LCD lines.
Picture and Viewing Features
The UN55D7000 uses a 1080p, 240Hz LCD panel with LED edge lighting, the edge lighting is capable of local dimming for increased contrast in dark scenes and better contrast than LED or LCD televisions with constant back lighting.
These Samsung LED panels can get very bright and they produce rich, saturated color. Sometimes the colors can appear oversaturuated but many viewers like that look and broadcast and cable networks comply by oversaturating their content. Color leap off the screen but if you desire more realistic color you can use the wide variety of picture controls to tone down the appearace to one more suitable for your viewing.
2D to 3D conversion returns in the D7000, while we were not wholly impressed by this feature last year, content shot in 2D will never have the pop of content shot with a 3D camera, however it would be nice to see improvement in this feature.
The UN55D7000 looks fantastic, our editors can't decide which 2011 model we like best. The 7000 series has a .3" clear acryllic bezel and the TV itself is only a half inch deep. The 4 legged stand we liked last returns and includes swivel functionality
Internet Applications and Connectivity
High end Samsung TVs will include their new "Smart Hub" in 2011, this divides the connected features of the TV into categories:
- Samsung Apps: Samsung was the first to offer an HDTV app store similar to the ones you find on today's smartphones. There is plenty of free content like YouTube, Pandora, streaming media and social media content and there is also premium content that varies in price but is for the most part cheap.
- Your Video: Based on what content you watch this area of the Smart Hub will suggest content you may enjoy based on your viewing habits.
- Search All: Search your TV, any DLNA connected devices and even networked PCs all at the same time. Quickly find the content you are looking for
The look of UN55D7000 definitely stands out, the half inch depth, chrome 4 legged stand and .3" clear bezel combine for a stunning, luxurious appearance.
Bright, colorful LED backlit LCD panel has excellent black levels thanks to local dimming
Expanded Internet Features give you more to watch, all the time and the included web browser and WiFi are standouts amongst those.
The D7000 has plenty of connection options, plenty of HDMI 1.4 inputs, analog component and composite video and for the first time Samsung is including built in WiFi in a television.
-Jack Burden, Editorial Contributor
HD Picture Quality: 9/10
SD Picture Quality: 9/10
Features Rating: 8.5/10
Value Rating: 8.5/10
Overall Rating: 8.75/10
- Screen Size: 55" (54.6" diagonal)
- Aspect ratio: 16:9, 1920 x 1080p
- Progressive features: micro-dimming LED, DLNA, 3D, Samsung SmartTV
- Inputs: 4 HDMI v.1.4 (best audio/video connection) / 3 USB 2.0 / PC input / component video / composite video / component audio / optical digital audio / PC audio
- Audio enhancement: Dolby Digital Plus / SRS TheatreSound HD
- Built-in speakers: 10W x 2
- Mounting options: swivel pedestal stand / wall-mountable
- Remote control: QWERTY remote (unit not included in box; redemption voucher included instead)
- 3D capable (requires 3D glasses, sold separately)
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- DLNA compatible
- Samsung SmartTV apps, media hub, and web browser
- ConnectShare USB
- Skype on Samsung TV
- Ultra Clear Panel
- Wide Color Enhancer Plus
- Eco Sensor
- AutoMotion Plus 240Hz with Clear Motion Rate
- Dimensions: 48.8" W x 28.1" H x 1.2" D (w/out stand) / 48.8" W x 31.1" H x 12.2" D (w/stand)
- Weight: 35.5 lbs (w/out stand) / 41 lbs (w/stand)