LG 65LW6500 Review
Model: LG 65LW6500
Description: 65" LED backlit LCD TV with Passive 3D and 120Hz Processing
Includes: Swivel table top stand, 4 pairs of Passive 3D Glasses, Built-In Wifi, Breakout cables for component and composite inputs.
Reviewers: Jack Burden
Date: Summer 2011
LG introduced a line of passive 3D TV's at the 2011 Consumer Electronics show. Available in 4 screen sizes the LW6500 series are LED backlit LCD screens. The panel is made using LG's FPR (Film-type Patterned Retarder) panel that is said to better focus the separate images being fed to the left and right eye. Passive 3D technology means the LW6500's will use polarized 3D glasses rather than the active shutter glasses used most 2010 3D TVs. These passive glasses require no batteries, weigh less and are far less expensive compared to their active counterparts.
- Value Price Point for 3D Readiness
- 4 Pair 3D Glasses and Wifi Dongle included
- Off Center, Side Viewing Angle
- Full Web Browser for Internet Search (better if you have the Magic Wand)
- Calibration Controls Excellent
- Menu System Features and ease of use
- Aesthetic Appeal
- Deep Black Levels/Contrast
- HD Broadcast Picture Quality
- Graininess and Picture Noise in HD Picture from Film
- Limited Internet Apps
- Standard Definition Picture Quality Dimmer than normal
- Glare from Ambient Room Light/ Non-Clear Coat Screen
- Does not include Magic Wand
- At times Dark Shadow detail not great
HD Picture Quality: 8.5/10
LG is touting their new FPR panel as the first to 3D panel receive a "Flicker Free Certification" from Intertek and TÜV. The 55LW6500 has another feature called "3D Light Boost" that uses a thin film over the panel to boost the brightness of 3D images. This is intended the counter the darkening effect of wearing 3D glasses to watch TV. From our viewing, this did indeed help present a better 3D image than the passive models without the light boost. Other notable picture features are Full HD 3D 1080p resolution, 240Hz Smooth Motion processing, LED local dimming and 2D to 3D conversion.
A vibrant shot from the 3D Blu Ray, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs shows rich colors clarity
3D TV Viewing: One of the great things about this TV is that it comes with 4 sets of passive 3D glasses (LGAG-P110) in the box. Colors and animation are vivid and of course, there is no flashing or flicker from the passive glasses to distract the viewer. The only drawback was some blurring in the bottom right and left corners of the screen. The 2D to 3D conversion feature is like most, not really good enough to want to use it.
Standard Definition Picture Quality: 8/10
Features Rating: 8.5/10
LG Apps choices in the Netcast/SmartTV suite
Appearance: The slim LW6500 has a slim black bezel and a thin clear acrylic edge. The inlcuded stand has a clear neck and a slightly rounded top for a sleek, modern look.
There is an upgraded Picture Wizard II in the LW5700 which allows for basic calibration tools to allow users to adjust the 5 basic settings depending upon ambient room light. It's an interesting and somewhat useful feature that we have not encountered elsewhere.
Inputs: 4 HDMI inputs and USB 2.0 access, 2 component, 2 Composite, Ethernet, and a 15 pin D-sub computer input rounds out an ample offering. There are included breakout cables for one set of component and composite inputs.
Value Rating: 8/10
At around $3499 from authorized retailers the 65LW6500 presents good value at it's massive size. It's a good looking TV with extensive internet options, the excellent magic wand remote and LG's Cinema 3D passive 3D. Competition is this category comes from the 64 and 65 inch plasmas from Panasonic and Samsung.
Overall Rating: 8.25/10
See the complete LG 65LW6500 Picture Settings and Calibration Results.
- 65" screen class (65" measured diagonally) / 1920 x 1080p
- LG Cinema 3D / 120Hz TruMotion frame rate / 4 pairs of 3D glasses included
- Wi-Fi ready (receiver included) / Web browser / LG Smart TV / LG App Store / DLNA certified / SIMPLINK
- 4 HDMI inputs / 2 composite inputs / 2 component video + L/R audio inputs / 1 RF in
- 1 PC input / 1 LAN port / 2 USB ports / RF input / 1 wireless control
- 1 digital optical audio out / 1 headphone out
- 16:9 native aspect ratio / 5 correction modes / 3 color temperature modes / 7 picture modes
- 1-way, 10W + 10W stereo speaker system with Infinite 3D Sound, Auto Volume Leveler, Clear Voice II, and 5 sound modes
- ±20° swivel stand included; VESA 400mm x 400mm pattern
- Magic Motion remote included
- 2D to 3D upconversion
- 2D to 3D converting depth control level (20 levels); 3D depth controls
- LED Plus backlighting with local dimming
- Intelligent sensor adjusts picture to room lighting
- Wireless HD Ready (2D only)
- Picture Wizard II (easy calibration); ISFccc-ready
- 24p input capable
- 9,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Power consumption: 165W max, <0.1W in standby mode
- Dimensions (without/with stand): 61.2"/61.2" W x 37.0"/39.8" H x 1.7"/13.4" D
- Weight (without/with stand): 92.6 lbs/103.6 lbs