LG 47LW6500 Review
A shot from the NBA Finals shows good detail and black levels even in shadow areas
Model: LG 47LW6500
Description: 47" LED backlit LCD TV with Passive 3D and 120Hz Processing
Includes: Swivel table top stand, 4 pairs of Passive 3D Glasses, Built-In Wifi, Breakout cables for component and composite inputs.
Reviewers: Jack Burden
Date: Summer 2011
LG introduced a line of passive 3D TV's at the 2011 Consumer Electronics show. Available in 4 screen sizes the LW6500 series are LED backlit LCD screens. The panel is made using LG's FPR (Film-type Patterned Retarder) panel that is said to better focus the separate images being fed to the left and right eye. Passive 3D technology means the LW6500's will use polarized 3D glasses rather than the active shutter glasses used most 2010 3D TVs. These passive glasses require no batteries, weigh less and are far less expensive compared to their active counterparts.
- Value Price Point for 3D Readiness
- 4 Pair 3D Glasses and Wifi Dongle included
- Off Center, Side Viewing Angle
- Full Web Browser for Internet Search (better if you have the Magic Wand)
- Calibration Controls Excellent
- Menu System Features and ease of use
- Aesthetic Appeal
- Deep Black Levels/Contrast
- HD Broadcast Picture Quality
- Graininess and Picture Noise in HD Picture from Film
- Limited Internet Apps
- Standard Definition Picture Quality Dimmer than normal
- Glare from Ambient Room Light/ Non-Clear Coat Screen
- Does not include Magic Wand
- At times Dark Shadow detail not great
HD Picture Quality: 8.5/10
LG is touting their new FPR panel as the first to 3D panel receive a "Flicker Free Certification" from Intertek and TÜV. The 55LW6500 has another feature called "3D Light Boost" that uses a thin film over the panel to boost the brightness of 3D images. This is intended the counter the darkening effect of wearing 3D glasses to watch TV. From our viewing, this did indeed help present a better 3D image than the passive models without the light boost. Other notable picture features are Full HD 3D 1080p resolution, 240Hz Smooth Motion processing, LED local dimming and 2D to 3D conversion. We did note a big improvement when viewing the local dimming feature. This is edge-lit local dimming as opposed to the more impressive full array local dimming backlighting. LG televisions have expansive calibration and white balance controls that allow you to fine tune the picture to near perfect D6500K color temperature. There is also an intelligent sensor which adjusts room light. The TV needs to be set to Auto View mode, for it to work at its maximum level, however we don't recommend it due to some slightly noticeable change in lighting on the TV. It can be just a little distracting.
As noted above black levels and side viewing angles are very good for an LED-LCD TV. Colors are rich but not oversaturated.
A vibrant shot from the 3D Blu Ray, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs shows rich colors clarity
Standard Definition Picture Quality: 8/10
We recommend using the Standard picture setting on the TV for standard definition programming which lifts contrast and color information and introduces too much blue. Changing the Color Temp setting to W8 resolves the blue push. There was some slight contouring and mapping of color information from the onboard video processors but overall SD picture performance was pretty solid.
Features Rating: 8.5/10
A You Tube video through the LW6500's Internet options
Internet Options through Built-In Wifi: LG NetCast Internet Connected Internet Feature Options: There are a few Internet options that appear to have been dropped from last years offering including Yahoo! Widgets and Skype. But other options have been expanded from the premium services Netflix, Youtube, VUDU, AP, Google Maps, Cinema Now, NBA, Facebook, and Twitter. There are around 20 premium services in all. Divided into 4 sections getting to content is quick and easy for users, pick from TV Live, Premium Content, Internet Apps or the Launch Bar and be watching online content faster than you could on past models There are currently 49 Apps in the LG Internet Apps store – not nearly as many as some competitors but the list is growing. A few we noticed include Yoga trainer, Horoscope, H&M Fashion, Color Blind, and a Paint App. It appears LG is concertedly playing catchup in this area and doing a reasonably good job. You can also access the Picture menu options when using the Netcast SmartTV hub.
The Internet TV lineup (Netcast SmartTV) for LG's LW6500
Value Rating: 8/10
At around $1449 from authorized retailers the 47LW6500 presents a pretty good overall value. It's a good looking TV with extensive internet options, the excellent magic wand remote and LG's Cinema 3D passive 3D. Competition is this category comes from the Sony KDL46EX720 and the Samsung UN46D7000.
Overall Rating: 8.25/10
See the complete LG 47LW6500 Picture Settings and Calibration Results.
- 47" screen class (46.9" measured diagonally) / 1920 x 1080p
- LG Cinema 3D / 240Hz TruMotion frame rate / 4 pairs of 3D glasses included
- Wi-Fi ready (receiver included) / Web browser / LG Smart TV / LG App Store / DLNA certified / SIMPLINK
- 4 HDMI inputs / 2 composite inputs / 2 component video + L/R audio inputs / 1 RF in
- 1 PC input / 1 LAN port / 2 USB ports / RF input / 1 wireless control
- 1 digital optical audio out / 1 headphone out
- 16:9 native aspect ratio / 5 correction modes / 3 color temperature modes / 7 picture modes
- 1-way, 10W + 10W stereo speaker system with Infinite 3D Sound, Auto Volume Leveler, Clear Voice II, and 5 sound modes
- ±20° swivel stand included; VESA 400mm x 400mm pattern
- Magic Motion remote included
- 2D to 3D upconversion
- 2D to 3D converting depth control level (20 levels); 3D depth controls
- LED Plus backlighting with local dimming
- Intelligent sensor adjusts picture to room lighting
- Wireless HD Ready (2D only)
- Picture Wizard II (easy calibration); ISFccc-ready
- 24p input capable
- 9,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Power consumption: 165W max, <0.1W in standby mode
- Dimensions (without/with stand): 44.1"/44.1" W x 26.9"/29.4" H x 1.2"/10.7" D
- Weight (without/with stand): 40.1 lbs/46.3 lbs