Step 5: 3D TV Viewing Distance Size Chart
What 3D TV Size is Right for you? How far away should you sit?
By Jack Burden, Senior Reviewer
Viewing distance from a TV is a combination of somewhat science and a bit of preference mixed together. But there are general guidelines which can help you decide. 3D TVs are generally in the larger size categories due to the expense of the technology. Manufacturers choose to include the 3D compatibility feature on only those TVs they believe to be price worthy of the feature. This usually means the larger size plasma, LEDs, or LCD TVs.
If you're TV is too large for your viewing distance, you could end up with uncomfortable eye strain and a headache. So it's best not to sit too close to the TV. If you're too far away for the size of TV your watching you end up being distracted easily and straining to see certain details in the picture.
Viewing distance per size is even more important with 3D TVs due toe the fact that you want to position yourself in the center of the screen and not too far nor close. Problems will occur with the 3D TV glasses in these situations. Recently, when we tested some 3D plasma TVs we noticed that we preferred to sit slightly closer than normal for 3D TV programming. This was due to the need to totally focus the attention on the 3D picture. Ambient background light in the room somewhat detracted from our viewing experience, especially when sitting far away. As we turned our heads at times we noticed a flash effect from the 3D shutter glasses. One way to avoid this is to sit a little closer. Therefore, use the following guid for 3D viewing and add 2 feet of distance when not viewing 3D material.
TV Size (in diagonal inches)
Recommended 3D TV Programming Viewing Distance
|52"||9 to 10 feet|
|55"||10 to 11 feet|
|60"||12 to 13 feet|
|63"||13 to 14 feet|
A 12 Step Guide to Purchasing a 3D TV
- Step 1: How 3D TV Technology Works; The principles behind 3-D HDTVs explained
- Step 2: 6 Myths about 3D TVs - 3D TV Buying Guide clears up 3-D HDTV Misconceptions
- Step 3: 3D TV Advantages; Is now the time to buy a 3D TV?
- Step 4: 3D TV Problems, Issues and Concerns: What complications arise with this new technology?
- Step 5: 3D TV Viewing Distance Size Chart; What 3D TV Size is Right for you?
- Step 6: 3D TV Pricing; Are 3D TVs worth a higher price over an non 3-D ready Television?
- Step 7: 3D TV LED, LCD or Plasma; Which technology is best for you? Which has the best value?
- Step 8: 3D TV Wall Mount and Table Stand Options; How to install a 3D Television
- Step 9: 3D TV Calibration Picture Settings; How to set your 3D TV picture settings
- Step 10: Best 3D TVs; Which 3D TVs are best rated? See our top recommendations
- Step 11: Best place to buy a 3D TV; Best prices and recommended 3D TV dealers
- Step 12: 3D TV Connections; How to hook up cables to a 3D TV with HDMI or Ethernet